Monday, November 26, 2012

Paan Kulfi

I wanted to do something different and special for Deepavali this year in terms of dessert. Given my thankfully diminishing sweet tooth, I usually stick to kheer and some sweets bought from the neighbourhood mithai shop - Milk cake etc. But having taken the plunge into desi mithai by making besan ke laddus with the kids for Dussehra, I had to up my game for Deepavali, which means adding a touch of madness - sometimes divine, sometimes just the Agra variety - to the recipe. That's when I hit upon Paan flavoured Kulfi.

Fessing up - had never made Kulfi before. And did not have the patience to spend hours slaving over milk and reducing it down, so I went with the tried and tested Tarla aunty shortcut method - her shortcuts never fail!! - and used a mix of condensed and evaporated milk to reduce my effort. Threw in a couple of meetha paans into the result before freezing, and voila, a new, improved, grown-up version of kulfi was served up to the applause of family at Deepavali lunch. But then, they'll applaud anything!

If you want to try at your own risk, here's how:
3/4th liter full cream milk
1/2 tin ( 200 gms) condensed milk)
1/4 cup evaporated milk

Mix all three and set to boil, then reduce to a simmer and let it simmer away on low flame, stirring occasionally, for about 1/2 hour, until it reduces by about a third.

Let cool, then whizz in the blender with a couple of meetha paans - or even plain paan will do if you're going for the betel leaf flavour as opposed to actual paan flavour.

Pour mix into a suitable container - i.e.flatbottomed rather than round-bottomed - I used a tupperware box - and freeze for 4-6 hours or overnight.

If you want to fancy up the serving, pose the prettily cut pieces of kulfi on some betel leaves, scatter a few rose petals etc etc...


the mad momma said...

And it tastes delicious!

Neela Manogar said...

Mouth watering recipe. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

This is great! I've been wanting to do these. I like this blog a lot. Thank you.

Software problems? Check this out:
Medisoft software
Preferred software by most medical professionals

Herbert said...

Thanks for the freebies. Yes I will try it for our dinner tonight. Thank you.

Please visit: physician medical billing services