Thursday, June 21, 2007

Boursin sans the fat!

When I lived in France, I tried out lots of different kinds of cheese, and even got to like some of the runnier, smellier ones (except for goat cheese, cannot stand that!). Boursin was something completely new for me, and I loved it from the moment I first tasted it. The ail et fines herbes is quite nice, but the pepper...wow. I was thrilled to find it easily available at supermarkets in India when I returned from france. It does cost a steep Rs. 350 - Rs. 500 but I figure it's worth it as a monthly extravagance.

Well, recently I started a new diet, as anyone who's read my post on low cal snack would know, so I despaired of being able to enjoy Boursin pepper's creamy, spicy taste again. Then, yesterday, I had a brainwave, brought on by all the tsatsiki we had on vacation in Greece. I tried this and it's a pretty good substitute which I can totally inhale without worries about calories:

Ingredients:
1 cup natural yoghurt
1 tbsp cracked pepper (cracked, not powdered, so I did it with my mortar and pestle)
1 tsp salt

Tie the yoghurt into a thin, clean muslin cloth and hang over a pan or the sink till all the whey has run out
Untie the cloth and scrape the yoghurt into a cup
Mix the salt and pepper and refrigerate
It keeps for about 2 days without turning sour

It works better if you have absolutely bland yoghurt. I'm planning to try the ail et fines herbes next (mint and coriander?)

No comments: