2-3 tomatoes, diced
1 cup basmati rice
1 onion, fnely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic
5 mm piece of ginger, grated
2 bay leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
small bunch coriander, finely minced
2-3 green chillies (depending on your taste for spiciness); can also be replaced by chilli powder
1 tbsp oil
salt to taste
2 cups water
1 tsp sugar (or to taste)
- Wash the basmati rice thoroughly and keep aside
- Put the pressure cooker onto the stove at medium heat and pour in the oil
- When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and stir for a few seconds
- Add the turmeric and bay leaves and stir once more
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger and green cillies and stir to mix. Let cook till onions are translucent, then add the tomatoes. Mix together and let cook till tomatoes are soft
- Put in the rice and the 2 cups of water, add salt and sugar and stir to mix. Taste to check the levels of salt and sugar.
- Put the lid of the cooker on and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Let the cooker cool down and open.
- Mix the rice well and take out into a serving dish. Top with coriander and serve.
This rice is delicious served with plain yoghurt, or hung yoghurt mixed with minced dill or mint leaves, with rice papads on the side.